MEET MATT | JULY WERUNMPLSER
“WeRunMPLSer of the Month” is a series we write to introduce the faces that make WeRunMPLS so special. Our core is community; it was the motivation behind starting WeRunMPLS, is the foundation for every time we meet and is what guides all our decisions. Hope you enjoy!
Tell us your name + how you found out about WeRunMPLS.
My name's Matt Stemper. I found out about WeRunMPLS through searching online for group runs. I came across WeRunMPLS and it seemed like a great group of people and I loved the motto, "all paces welcome. no one runs alone." I didn't know anyone that ran with WeRunMPLS but I showed up and the rest is history.
Where is your favorite place to run?
That's a tough question... There are so many great places to run in Minnesota. I would probably have to say along the Mississippi River.
What’s been your favorite night of WeRunMPLS (so far!)?
I look forward to seeing everyone and running with WeRunMPLS every Thursday, so it's tough to pick one. My favorite night so far was probably my first night. It was the Wild Card Week in March, and we ran out of Pryes Brewery. It was a perfect evening for a run and we all hung around after. I loved the atmosphere and community that WeRunMPLS has built, it was great getting to hang around after and meet so many friendly people!
Tell us your top 5 interests.
- Reading - When I have free time from everything else going on in life, I love to read. A few of my favorites are: East of Eden, Perfectly Yourself, Into Thin Air, Endurance, Outliers, & Until I Find You.
- Traveling - Traveling has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember, whether it's in Minnesota or half way around the world. My latest trip was 3 weeks hiking/trekking in Nepal last December.
- Running - I didn’t start running until 3 years ago. One day I decided I wanted to do a marathon, so I signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in 2015 and have been running ever since. I've got 8 running races scheduled this year with back to back marathons at the end of the year to cap it off.
- Biking - I'm a huge cyclist. I love bikes... it's a weakness of mine. After getting into running I wanted to try my hand at triathlons, so naturally that meant picking up cycling.
- History - I'm a history geek through and through. I love museums and traveling to other countries where there is so much history still present and visible.
What’s your favorite thing about WeRunMPLS?
The community that WeRunMPLS has been able to build. It's an amazing group of individuals who share a common interest. Everyone is welcoming, friendly and genuinely interested in getting to know each other.
Favorite running quote?
I don't know that I've got 1 favorite... a few that stick out are:
"You're better than you think you are, you can do more than you think you can." - Ken Chlouber (Leadville Trail 100 Founder)
"Live simple, train hard, and live an honest life." - Eliud Kipchoge (Distance Runner & Olympic Marathon Gold Medalist)
"We like to suffer, and to challenge ourselves physically. In the end, that's reason enough." - Mike Foote (Ultrarunner)
One random fact everyone should know about you.
I come across as quiet and conservative, but I've got a bit of an adventurous side to me... Whether it's motorcycles, skydiving, scuba diving, traveling, climbing, hang gliding, etc. Always looking for that new experience!
Anything we didn't cover?
My latest running goal that I set this year is to run the World Marathon Majors... The six largest/most renowned marathons in the world - Boston, New York City, Chicago, London, Berlin, and Tokyo. I'm starting off this year with New York City in November!