MEET STEPH | JULY WERUNMPLSER
“WeRunMPLSer of the Month” is a series we write to introduce the faces that make WeRunMPLS so special. We say this a lot – our core is community; it was the motivation behind starting WeRunMPLS, is the foundation for every time we meet and is what guides all our decisions. Hope you enjoy!
Tell us your name + how you found out about WeRunMPLS.
Hi! I'm Steph. I found out about WeRunMPLS from the 2016 Medtronic Marathon's first timers Facebook page. Another WeRunMPLSer posted about it and I decided to get out of my comfort zone and check it out one week. Going for the first time alone without knowing anyone was something so unlike me, but one of the best decisions I made!
Where is your favorite place to run?
Fort Lauderdale Beach! I have a lot of extended family that is still there so when I visit I have to take up the opportunity to run alongside the beach. I love being outside and there's nothing better than running while staring at the ocean!
What’s been your favorite night of WeRunMPLS (so far!)?
My favorite night was the 3 year anniversary party at BauHaus. After the weekly run, we hung out there with cake and treats and just talked and I realized that not only was the physical aspect of running a reason I kept coming back each week, but also because I enjoyed the company of the other people and could consider them friends.
Tell us your top 5 interests.
- Traveling: I absolutely love traveling. I believe that traveling and seeing new things and cultures is one of the best ways to enrich yourself. You can learn so much more about yourself and others from a week away than by doing anything else.
- Running: It's my personal therapy and my time to myself. There's nothing like exploring a new place while getting in a good workout or enjoying the perfect day.
- T.V. (guilty pleasure): I can Netflix binge like no one else. If anyone wants a new show or a review on one I can be your go to! (Kaitlyn's note: This is 100% true. Steph has become my TV go-to!)
- Catching up with current events: Especially with today's political climate, I feel like it's more important than ever to know what is going on around you.
- Spending time with friends/ family: Whatever we may be doing I believe it is important to be with those you love (especially over a beer!)
What’s your favorite thing about WeRunMPLS?
I love how everyone feels like family. If someone is gone one week it's like we have so much to catch up on. Not only that, but as someone who isn't the fastest runner, I never felt out of place and there was always someone with me. "all paces welcome. no one runs alone." and that is not only the motto, but the culture.
Favorite running quote?
"One run can change your day, many runs can change your life."
One random fact everyone should know about you.
I am that person that stops their run to pet a cute dog. No shame!