MEET ANDREW | FEBRUARY WERUNMPLSER
“WeRunMPLSer of the Month” is a series we write to introduce the faces that make WeRunMPLS so special. We say this a lot – our core is community; it was the motivation behind starting WeRunMPLS, is the foundation for every time we meet and is what guides all our decisions. Hope you enjoy!
Meet Andrew! Andrew started running with us regularly in 2016 and quickly became a regular part of our group. He always has a joke, a funny impersonation or is willing to be the punchline of someone else's jests. Andrew often joins the group after our Thursday runs for a beer or a bite to eat to get to know other WeRunMPLSers better. And, when Kaitlyn isn't prepared for the group circle question (which, let's be honest, is often), Andrew always comes to the rescue with a good one. We're so happy to have Andrew at WeRunMPLS and are excited for you to "meet" him! Read on below.
Tell us your name + how you found out about WeRunMPLS.
Hey! My name is Andrew Hermann. I found out about WeRunMPLS from Kaitlyn Cox as it all got started a few years ago. I met Kaitlyn and Jen about 5 years ago, and as soon as things got started I was invited. I ran once with the crew at the HotDash 5k in 2015, which was right after I took up running. That was my introduction!
Where is your favorite place to run?
My favorite place to run has been around Lake of the Isles. For years I’d bike around the lakes as a cyclist, but to slow it down and be in that area is awesome. You’ve got great paths, cool architecture, and a view of the city. That area around Harriet, Calhoun and the Isles is fantastic! I could just keep rolling around those spots.
What’s been your favorite night of WeRunMPLS (so far!)?
My favorite night of WeRunMPLS was our Halloween Wild Card night. I was super lame by not dressing up, but I ran that night with Nate – dressed as Captain America. We were flying on that run and cracking jokes as he carried the shield, which we later attributed to us keeping us safe as we accidentally ran out into unexpected oncoming traffic. We were safe and had an awesome hang at Inbound afterwards.
Tell us your top 5 interests.
- Coffee – I am huge lover of specialty coffee shops and roasters of the Twin Cities and beyond.
- Cycling – I am a big time cyclist, which after I began running launched me into pursuing triathlons this past summer.
- Running – I am a new runner. I began running about 2 years ago and I still ask – who am I? -- while out on runs longer than 3 miles or in extreme cold. I never would have guessed that I would be considered or consider myself a runner.
- Waffles – One of the best gifts I’ve ever gotten is a waffle maker for Christmas. Waffles seem to be one of the ways I gather people at my house. Peanut butter and sriracha are the go to toppings of my waffles.
- Friends – I love my community. The people I am surrounded by at work, home, and here are incredible. I also love connecting those circles of friends by hosting and having others over or getting out to do different things.
What’s your favorite thing about WeRunMPLS?
I can invite anyone to WeRunMPLS. I love that no one runs alone, so no matter who I talk to – they don’t have to run at my pace. They will always have someone to run with if they show up. That makes inviting and making running more community driven even easier.
Favorite running quote?
“How you feeling back there? Did you eat today? You gotta eat!” – Fellow WeRunMPLSer, Tim McKinney
Like I said, I am new to running and the world of running and runners, but I often find myself running and trying to keep pace with Tim on Thursday’s and Saturdays. He is usually out ahead of me. He’s crushes it, but he also gives me a hard time when we get to Thursday night. Most times I just haven’t eaten enough or just out of routine on my days off, so he’s always looking out for me. Ha!
One random fact everyone should know about you.
Some may know what I do for my job, but I am a pastor here at a church here in the Twin Cities. Not many people know that I went to college for something very different. I actually have an undergraduate degree in graphic design. I was an art major, which I love! I had the chance to study design, and while I don’t work in the industry – I appreciate simple, beautiful design and communication.