MEET KRISTAL | JANUARY WERUNMPLSER
“WeRunMPLSer of the Month” is a series we write to introduce the faces that make WeRunMPLS so special. We say this a lot – our core is community; it was the motivation behind starting WeRunMPLS, is the foundation for every time we meet and is what guides all our decisions. Hope you enjoy!
This month we’re featuring Kristal! Kristal is a fun part of WeRunMPLS; always ready with a laugh or a question about what’s happening in your life. Kristal joined WeRunMPLS this past summer and quickly became a regular face in the group. She’s a talented runner, brings joy to our group and is a good friend to many in the group – we’re so happy she’s part of the family and can’t wait for you to meet her! Read on below.
Tell us your name + how you found out about WeRunMPLS.
Hi, my name is Kristal Grigsby. I found out about WeRunMPLS through my sister’s best friend, Jen Glesne. For months, I promised Jen I would check out the group and she promised me that I would have tons of fun. It has been non-stop laughter and a joyful addition to my life ever since.
Where is your favorite place to run?
My favorite place to run is around Cedar Lake in Minneapolis. Regardless of the time of day, there is a sense of tranquility that exists. It is less busy than Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun, and you have different scenery that keeps you engaged in the experience of running.
What’s been your favorite night of WeRunMPLS (so far!)?
My favorite night at WeRunMpls was most recently WeRunProm. It was awesome for everyone to get dressed up and go to dinner. It reminded me of how much WeRunMPLS is a family. We sat together and shared laughter, food, dance moves, and tidbits about current events in our lives. I am looking forward to more social activities. That being said, every week I look forward to Thursday’s, because I know that not only is it an opportunity for me to push myself in running, but to connect with great people who have awesome personalities.
Tell us your top 5 interests.
- Desserts- especially chocolate cake. Ask anyone who knows me that if possible, I would eat sweets for every meal.
- Activity- I enjoy being active. Depending on the season, I may be rollerblading, playing tennis, playing basketball, playing soccer, ice skating, hiking, the list is endless. I am willing to try anything that gets me moving, and keeps me moving.
- Spending time with my family and friends- I believe that an important part of anyone’s life is finding people who inspire, encourage and support you. To that end, I have been blessed with family and friends, who fill my heart with love, inspire me to maximize my potential and encourage and support me to be the best person I can be. WeRunMPLS has definitely allowed me to expand that circle to include incredible people that I may not have met, otherwise.
- Traveling- Whether it is for a beach vacation, or to increase my knowledge of another’s culture. I believe that traveling is another way to nurture one’s curiosity and encourage you to step outside of your comfort zone.
- Music- Rarely will you find me not listening to music. I enjoy all genres, and will typically sing along to what is playing (even if I do not know the words).
What’s your favorite thing about WeRunMPLS?
My favorite things about WeRunMPLS are the people, and the community that has been built around the common interest of running. I am in awe and so grateful for the people I have met. I am incredibly grateful to Kaitlyn and Jen for creating this group.
Favorite running quote?
My two favorite running quotes are:
“Our running shoes have magic in them. The power to transform a bad day into a good day; frustration into speed; self-doubt into confidence; chocolate cake into muscle”. – Shape Magazine
“Hey! I’ma keep running, ‘cause a winner don’t quit on themselves!” – Beyoncé “Freedom”
One random fact everyone should know about you.
One random fact about me is that I am an identical twin, and between us we have 11 NCAA Division III Track and Field National Titles, 26 All-American honors, and 4 track and field college records still current.